The skirt has a 21" waist!!! I then stuffed it with acid-free tissue the best I could. The sleeves were also quite skinny, so had to twist and push the tissue up there. I couldn't help the puffed sleeves on the shoulders because there was a stay in there blocking me out. So, they don't do exactly what they should. It's hard to see from this picture, but the center front and collar are overlaid with a chiffon type fabric and trimmed in a brown lace. It appears that one of the front bows is missing. Or, did she wear a corsage there??? Just don't know. Anyway, it was fun to investigate the dress and the way it was made. I think it's amazing, because I'm doubting she had a Bernina!!!!! With this display will also be the wedding picture and the license. Amazing!!
Sunday, July 1, 2007
Rosie's Dress
Well, this is very different than my normal posts!! Just an interesting story here. My neighbor has this wedding dress that was made by her great grandmother back in 1898. She made it for herself out of what looks to be handkerchief linen. I really don't know much, but that's my best guess. Anyway, Rosie is planning to display it in an upcoming show, and wanted me to help her prepare it properly. She was advised not to display it on a dress form. I don't think we could get it on one anyway. Did well to get it on a hanger!! I'm real curious as to how the bride got into it!! It opened on the shoulder. I prepared a padded hanger for it and barely got it to fit in the dress. It's two pieces, so I specially prepared loops to hang the skirt under the top.
The skirt has a 21" waist!!! I then stuffed it with acid-free tissue the best I could. The sleeves were also quite skinny, so had to twist and push the tissue up there. I couldn't help the puffed sleeves on the shoulders because there was a stay in there blocking me out. So, they don't do exactly what they should. It's hard to see from this picture, but the center front and collar are overlaid with a chiffon type fabric and trimmed in a brown lace. It appears that one of the front bows is missing. Or, did she wear a corsage there??? Just don't know. Anyway, it was fun to investigate the dress and the way it was made. I think it's amazing, because I'm doubting she had a Bernina!!!!! With this display will also be the wedding picture and the license. Amazing!!
The skirt has a 21" waist!!! I then stuffed it with acid-free tissue the best I could. The sleeves were also quite skinny, so had to twist and push the tissue up there. I couldn't help the puffed sleeves on the shoulders because there was a stay in there blocking me out. So, they don't do exactly what they should. It's hard to see from this picture, but the center front and collar are overlaid with a chiffon type fabric and trimmed in a brown lace. It appears that one of the front bows is missing. Or, did she wear a corsage there??? Just don't know. Anyway, it was fun to investigate the dress and the way it was made. I think it's amazing, because I'm doubting she had a Bernina!!!!! With this display will also be the wedding picture and the license. Amazing!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment